Easter is the perfect time to start thinking about refreshing your home decor and furnishings. Whether you are looking for a new sofa, a dining room table, or outdoor furniture, there are plenty of options to select from in Tangkula. Tangkula furniture can reflect and complement your home decor style!
As we have introduced in the previous blog, wood, wicker rattan, and aluminum are the three major materials of furniture, especially outdoor furniture. The three kinds of material have both merits and demerits. If you want to find more, click the following links to read about the difference between wood and wicker rattan, which will help you to decide what to get for your cozy backyard.
Today, we will continue the column, Shop by Material—Aluminum. As we all know, steel and aluminum has a long history before getting popular for civil use.
- The history of steel furniture dates back to the 19th century when steel became a popular material for industrial use. People used wood and other materials to make furniture before steel, which was first manufactured in the United States in the mid-1800s. It went viral for its durability and strength.
- One of the earliest and most well-known steel furniture manufacturers was the Toledo Metal Furniture Company, founded in 1901. They specialized in creating steel desks and filing cabinets for offices and schools. During World War II, steel furniture is extensively prevalent in military bases, hospitals, etc.
- In the 1950s and 1960s, steel furniture became more widespread for civil use. Designers began the trial with new forms and styles, and manufacturers started to produce furniture made from aluminum and steel. Aluminum appeared to be the ideal material for outdoor furniture due to its lightweight and corrosion-resistant properties.
- In the 1970s and 1980s, the popularity of steel furniture declined as other materials, like plastic and wood, became more fashionable. However, in recent years, there has been a renewed interest in steel and aluminum furniture, particularly in industrial and minimalist design styles.
- Now people can find steel and aluminum furniture everywhere, from homes and offices to outdoor spaces and public areas. The durability and strength of these materials make them perfect for use in high-traffic environments, and their sleek, modern designs make them popular among design-conscious consumers.
As excellent materials for outdoor furniture, steel and aluminum are famous for their durability and resistance to the weather. Here are some of the merits of these materials for outdoor furniture:
Stability: Steel and aluminum are sturdy and durable materials to withstand the wear and tear of outdoor use. They are resistant to rust, corrosion, and fading, which is ideal for outdoor environments.
Lightweight: Lightweight makes it easy to move around and rearrange the furniture. Lightweight will be helpful when you need to move or store furniture during inclement weather.
Low maintenance: Steel and aluminum require a little maintenance to keep their good looking without painting or staining compared with wood. You can clean them with soap and water.
Versatility: You can mold steel and aluminum into different shapes and styles. Steel suits many kinds of styles, like modern, classic, etc.
Sustainable: Both steel and aluminum are recyclable materials, which makes them a sustainable choice for outdoor furniture. They can be recycled and repurposed, which helps to reduce waste and protect the environment.
When selecting steel or aluminum furniture, there are some tips you need to pay more attention to.
- Consider the climate: Different climates impact variedly on steel and aluminum furniture. In high humidity or salty air, aluminum furniture may be better for its higher corrosion resistance. Steel may be a better choice for its durability in withstanding the elements in harsh winters.
- Check butt weld ends: Both steel and aluminum furniture can be finished with coatings or paints to protect them. When choosing furniture, check the finish to ensure its durability and resistance to scratches, chipping, and fading.
- Find qualified structure: High-quality construction is essential when choosing outdoor furniture made from steel or aluminum. Remember to look for well-constructed furniture with tight seams, sturdy welds, and hardware.
- Consider the design: Steel and aluminum furniture can come in different styles and designs, from sleek and modern to classic and traditional. When choosing furniture, consider the overall design of your outdoor space and choose furniture that complements the style and decor.
- Check the net weight: Aluminum is lightweight and easy to move, while steel can be heavier. Consider the net weight of the furniture and make sure it is easy to store if needed.
Moreover, there are a few things you need to pay more attention to on your steel outdoor furniture!
- Clean the furniture regularly. If it rains, it’s better to wipe furniture immediately, or it will erode.
- Feel the temperature of the surface of the steel chair before you sit. As steel is more likely to get hot due to sunshine, the chair may get you burnt, especially when wearing short skirts or pants.
- Take care of your kids when they run around the furniture. Steel furniture is stiffer than wood and wicker rattan, indicating your little one may get hurt if they fall off.
That’s all for different materials in Tangkula outdoor furniture. If you find our blog helpful, please subscribe to our store email and get the latest news. We will share tips to maintain the furniture of different materials later.